This guy makes APs look bad

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:59 pm

coffeegirl9 wrote:
Well, here is a short list of the stupid things AP's do AFTER giving us all their information!

Shoplift
Start fights
Harrass CM's and/or other guests
Go into off limit places
Give their AP to someone else to use (you don't know how many times I've heard 'for this price, I should be able to get whomever I want in!')
Try to con people
Stand up on rides
Drink or use drugs
That's odd. This is the same list of behaviors demonstrated by College Programmers!

Zazu

tabacco
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tabacco » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:31 pm

cheshire wrote:They can get their passes revoked for standing on rides???? People stand up on Splash all the time. Or is it just the coasters?
Generally when there are AP comments about stuff like that, it's by Security, so I guess it's their call.

Indywitch
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Indywitch » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:02 pm

:twisted: I guess i have had my share of bad and good APS. Unfortunately the pain in the rears are more evident than the good ones...There are a few exceptions Smilemaker has anyone ran into him. He spends a ton of money at the park everyday and will buy strangers gifts just for the heck of it. All he requires is you be pleasant to him. The other day at WDS a CM and I said Hi to him and he asked the other CM what she wanted for Christmas she replied she wanted a pony. A few minutes later he came back and brought a stuffed pony to her....Not all are like him unfortunately..... :bang:

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:11 am

Where does this guy hang out? I need a new car! :twisted:

Tim Gaines
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Tim Gaines » Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:15 pm

HAHAHA Dante! You aren't jokin'! On the topic of APs ( a virtually limitless conversation, might I add ) I really do agree with the majority of you all. I'd wager to say "Most APs are jerks." However if I really analyze that comment, there are tons of APs in the park at any one time, and of ALL of them, the ones you really run into and REMEMBER are the jerk-offs. With that said, you don't really remember that nice OR neutral AP, nope, you REMEMBER and LOATH that jerk-off AP, the one who always wants to sit RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STINKIN' ISLE at HISTA, EVEN though the show has 500+ people!!! Then when you call them out on the microphone, they embrass you right back , baztaads. Thats when you decide this job isnt as important to you as is beating that AP within an inch of his life. You SPRING over the podium, run to the isle where the AP is. He, of course, has taken you seriously and shouts,"Fine, I am moving..." but that isnt enough. Grabbing his yellow "Saftey Goggles", you snap the little legs off them then slam them into his eyes. After which you give a loud "ARRRGH!" and run over to join your brothers at Pirates. ...... :shock: or you just take it and go out like a little punk.

Terrible Tim
Ex-Disneyland CM [2000-2001]
HISTA, AUTOPIA, FP, GC
Now a Military Police officer...

Thatguy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Thatguy » Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:18 am

The perfect AP's are the oes you don't know are AP's. Seriously, if you don't flaunt your knowledge/pass/right to own everything in the park we never know. that's why AP's get such a bad rap.

"How many people woke up this morning saying 'I have to do the Jungle Cruise?' yeah, me too, I sat on the edge of my bed crying for half an hour."

Ianto Jones
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Friendly AP'ers...

Post by Ianto Jones » Sun May 25, 2014 4:45 pm

Thatguy wrote:The perfect AP's are the oes you don't know are AP's. Seriously, if you don't flaunt your knowledge/pass/right to own everything in the park we never know. that's why AP's get such a bad rap.
I am an AP for DLR, as is my wife.
We have mentioned it to CM's, but only in the *middle* of a longer conversation (we love talking to friendly people, though we always let people do their work/help other guests - we don't interfere!).

Usually the context is -- "we are so lucky to be able to have AP's this year! Grateful for the payment plan.
We are in NorCal, and there are "rides" up here (SFDK, and GA), but we come all the way down to SoCal because everyone is so KIND to us!
Last July, my wife spent a long time in hospital, and when she got out we came to SoCal to visit friends/family for "yay, you didn't die!", and went to DL for a day, too, to celebrate.

I don't mean to sound corny, but the sheer *kindness* and positive energy from everyone we met, really made a difference in her recovery!
So much so, that even though we are both on SSDI, we budgeted to be able to get the AP's, and have come down as often as we can since then." -- saying something along those lines.

We usually camp in our van, to save money, so that we can stay for more days.
And we *do* buy things there! though we are frugal about it -- that is the other way people will know we have AP's, as we use the food discount.
And I will also admit that we will share a meal, at Plaza or Red Rockett's or the Mexican places -- but that just means we can then get a small trinket or snack later! And we buy the sippers, because we use them in "real life" -- they hang nicely from a wheelchair or powerchair, and are top-rack cold dishwasher safe.
I figure it is better to spend a small amount several times a day, than to have to leave property to eat?
If we share, and use our AP discount, it costs less than or equal to fast food across the street?
We don't share refillable drinks, or etc. we play *fair* about it all!

We are planning to move to Anaheim when our lease is up this summer (rent there is comparable to Bay Area), because she just - blooms - down there.

Anyhow. This was basically another "Thank you" to y'all, and an example of someone who does mention being an AP, but not to *get* anything (besides the included discount, which is fair to use, especially when it means we can eat on property?).

We love you guys, and try to be good guests. We pick up other people's trash, clear the nearby tables, are kind and grateful/gracious...

And with health issues and our service dog, we are only in the parks for a few hours a day anyhow. And only go to or on one or two Attractions in a day -- often we just wander, eat, and (politely) talk with folks...

Anyhow -- thanks, all!
Sorry again for the rambling.

:wheelchair: :tardis:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Friendly AP'ers...

Post by hobie16 » Sun May 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Ianto Jones wrote:... we are both on SSDI, we budgeted to be able to get the AP's...
Don't ever let SS find out you're able to save money. They'll probably cut your benefits. They want you on a hand to mouth existence.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Ianto Jones
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: friendly AP'ers

Post by Ianto Jones » Sun May 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Hi, and a sincere thank you for your concern!
However - We are on SSDI, not SSI. The benefit amount is based on what you earned while you were still working, and not on your expenses etc.
Theoretically, even someone independently wealthy, or someone who had saved well while still working, would still be eligible for SSDI, if they became fully disabled before retirement age.

SSDI is closer to a pension, than to "public benefits", as you are not eligible for it until after you have paid into it for many years, and the amount is higher if you earned a lot during those years.

Even if we inherited a windfall, etc, we would still be eligible for SSDI, as long as we are not well enough to work enough to support ourselves.

It is possible to even work part time (health permitting, and up to a certain dollar amount) and still earn SSDI.
The requirement (besides having paid into it) is to have a disability that is expected to last more than a year or result in death (my wife qualifies on BOTH counts), and be unable to work any job that would earn a certain percentage of your previous income.

As there are many days that we quite simply cannot get out of bed, literally, and even on "good" days we are only awake for a few hours before needing to sleep, we are not able to earn enough to affect our eligibility.

The SS that is subsistence is called SSI, and is available to children and to adults who were never able to work enough over the years to be eligible for SSI. Also it does have income and net worth limitations.

There is some information available here :

SSDI: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10029.pdf

SSI: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-11000.pdf

I wish either of us *could* get so much better that we could work again, and therefore have less eligibility, but both of our disabilities are progressive (hers, faster than mine).

I use a powerchair and oxygen, and she uses a rollator walker (she sometimes SHOULD use a powerchair, as she falls down many times a day, but her leg spasm/cramp/contractures are sometimes helped by walking).
It is a fine balance between not getting injured by falling during trying to walk, and the pain relief that walking gives.
Her cramps are frequent and VERY debilitating, and make visible dents in her leg (think the worst Charlie horse you ever had, then extend it from hip to ankle) ; she also has myoclonic jerking (looks exactly like a grand mal seizure, except she retains full consciousness, AND is never post-ictal). Very hard on concentration/train of thought. and exhausting.
And just recently expanded to include her throat/chest muscles, which is inhibiting her breathing.

Sorry, way TMI :tmi: , but - relevant.

Thank you again.

:wheelchair: :tardis:

Giraffe44
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Re: This guy makes APs look bad

Post by Giraffe44 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:52 pm

I don't know how anyone would know I'm an AP--at least until now. My pretty blue wristband has a little doohickey on it that says 2014 passholder. I've never mentioned it unless I'm asking for a discount on a purchase. Why would I? It gets me in and that's great. Hubby and I moved to central Florida partly to be near Disney (and partly because the living is cheap). Oh, and there's the magnet on the car that says AP-but no one in the parks sees that. I have seen folks with a lanyard and their pass hanging from it and it looks stupid, or arrogant, or something. Oh well, I'm just glad that the Annual Pass, and the payment plan, are available for Disneyphiles of limited means. :biggrin: