SGT - now with more encryption!

This is the place to find the latest news and announcements concerning StupidGuestTricks.com Note: You may reply to any topic in this forum but you may not post new topics.
ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

SGT - now with more encryption!

Post by ktulu » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:40 pm

I finally finished testing and debugging SSL (moved to a new SSL cert issuer) and I can happily announce that SGT is completely encrypted. The normal http site will automatically redirect to the https site, and all traffic between you and the server will be encrypted. Enjoy!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Re: SGT - now with more encryption!

Post by BRWombat » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:47 pm

Woo hoo! So we can finally start sharing credit card and bank account info here?

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:23 am

BRWombat wrote:Woo hoo! So we can finally start sharing credit card and bank account info here?
You go first, we'll be right behind you! :wink:

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:47 am

BRWombat wrote:Woo hoo! So we can finally start sharing credit card and bank account info here?
Just SS number and a scanned copy of your drivers license will suffice...

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:46 pm

I'm just collecting them for a deposed Nigerian prince I know.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:46 pm

Don't you guys keep up with the news? Fake President Frump just signed an Executive Order ending all privacy on the internet. The word encryption will fade into the "a word that once was used" category. The Donald wants to know who is talking bad about him so he can reek his revenge on his enemies. :drown: :bigclub:

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:41 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:Don't you guys keep up with the news? Fake President Frump just signed an Executive Order ending all privacy on the internet. The word encryption will fade into the "a word that once was used" category. The Donald wants to know who is talking bad about him so he can reek his revenge on his enemies. :drown: :bigclub:
Few things on this post.
1. President Trump is actually the real President. Please keep politics off of SGT. Unless it's a SGT yelling at one of the Presidents at the Hall of Presidents or American Adventure. That'd be pretty funny.

2. Congress actually passed a bill about the privacy stuff, Trump is expected to sign it into law.

3. An ISP is going to have a hard time decrypting the traffic between, let's say, your computer and my server without intercepting the traffic and providing the proper keys for decrypting the traffic. They would need to have the ssl certificates from my server to accomplish the decryption. Considering the server isn't owned by any provider, the decryption will not happen. If they intercept it and try to make it look like you're connecting to SGT, you'll get some sort of warning from your browser. Now, they will know that you've connected to www.stupidguesttricks.com based on the IP, and potential DNS lookups, but the only way they will know what you have to say is to actually visit the site. Your end to end postings are safe.

Cookies and things like that will come into play, but you're already getting tracked. Ever go to Amazon, look at something, and then see ads for that item on Facebook?

If you really want to keep things from your ISP, get an encrypted VPN. Then they will only see you connecting to an IP using a VPN. Then the VPN provider can make some money from selling your data...

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:11 pm

It was a joke for gods sake. I'll just find someplace else to use humor. Bye Bye! And he is a FAKE PRESIDENT AND ALWAYS WILL BE.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:38 pm

Politics aside, it looks like ISPs are going to be able to harvest browsing destinations and use it for marketing purposes. An alternative to a VPN is the TOR browser but it's pretty slow. It may boil down to speed vs. privacy.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:38 am

Goofyernmost wrote:It was a joke for gods sake. I'll just find someplace else to use humor. Bye Bye! And he is a FAKE PRESIDENT AND ALWAYS WILL BE.
I just wanted to 1) keep this a political free zone. We all have the common interest in theme parks (highly focused on Disney), and I want to keep it that way. I don't care who you voted for and your political leanings, you want to eat a churro and hit up space mountain? Then we're cool. Plenty of places to talk politics! 2) I work for an ISP. These things matter to me, and I want to just keep things open and truthful when it comes to the technology behind the internet.
hobie16 wrote:Politics aside, it looks like ISPs are going to be able to harvest browsing destinations and use it for marketing purposes. An alternative to a VPN is the TOR browser but it's pretty slow. It may boil down to speed vs. privacy.
Which already happens when you visit the vast majority of websites. Heck, even SGT has cookies for things!