New Members

This is the place to find the latest news and announcements concerning StupidGuestTricks.com Note: You may reply to any topic in this forum but you may not post new topics.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

New Members

Post by Zazu » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:59 am

If you are new to SGT, welcome! If you are ready to join and become a member, even more so.

However, right now we're under attack from a botnet that is trying to create 50 new bogus members per day. We are doing all we can to block these fake members, but given the volume, it's not easy.

As a result, if you join with a username that looks like a random string of characters, it's very likely your membership will be rejected out of hand.

We do not want to toss you babies out with the bathwater, so if the username you want might be confused with jibberish, please drop me a note at <[email protected]> a day ahead and I'll try to avoid rejecting your application.

If you want a "normal" username that looks like something a human might write, then just go ahead and join. I should be able to approve your request within 48 hours.

Thanks for understanding. We're looking at ways to block these spambots, but right now it's all manual.

Zazu, Admin
StupidGuestTricks.com

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: New Members

Post by hobie16 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:25 pm

Would it pay to do a sort by number of posts ( 0 )/join date and delete any user that joined over three months and has zero posts? Can a batch job be run to save time?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Just took a look. There's 511 pages of users with zero posts.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:30 am

hobie16 wrote:Would it pay to do a sort by number of posts ( 0 )/join date and delete any user that joined over three months and has zero posts? Can a batch job be run to save time?
Yes, a batch delete would be a wonderful thing. Unfortunately, we don't presently have such a tool available. I'm deleting 100 bogus members per day (time permitting), so we should be clear of them in about a year. Sadly, we have no way to actually purge these bogus members, so our membership count will continue to be inflated.

Zazu, Admin
StupidGuestTricks.com

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:52 am

If you keep up the pace you'll be done in 255.5 days. Aren't there other admins?

--- Matt King

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:02 am

hobie16 wrote:If you keep up the pace you'll be done in 255.5 days. Aren't there other admins?
No others active at this time. If anyone wishes to volunteer, contact Cujo off-list, as only he can grant moderator privileges.

Zazu

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:07 pm

Do you guys have the source code for this?
if not maybe the owner/host can add a module. or change the login function a little. but a bot can learn that too.
add a capcha module with a timeout function. i.e. like 5 trys and you are locked out for 15 mins.

Corey

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:07 pm

drcorey wrote:Do you guys have the source code for this?
No, vBulletin is proprietary.
if not maybe the owner/host can add a module. or change the login function a little. but a bot can learn that too.
add a capcha module with a timeout function. i.e. like 5 trys and you are locked out for 15 mins.
Owner Cuju might be able to do many things, but as he plans to put himself out of office by year-end, I doubt he'll feel like investing any more time than is needed to enable existing tools.

Zazu

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:35 pm

Zazu wrote:No, vBulletin is proprietary.

Owner Cuju might be able to do many things, but as he plans to put himself out of office by year-end, I doubt he'll feel like investing any more time than is needed to enable existing tools.
ah vbullitin.
yeah, I think you can buy a source code license but he prolly dont. or if he did, dont want to bother.
the vbullitin people prolly already have this addon but dont know what it cost. they charge for everything. wonder what kid of license he has thou. much be minor if he is thinking of giving it away. running this would be good for a homebound person.
err, like me, I am waiting for disability because I cant work or even walk more then 24 yards or so.
wonder if he would donate it to my church. do you know what it cost per year to run it?

Corey

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:32 pm

I'll PM Cujo, I have spare cycles.

Also all the more reason to move to phpbb...

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."