Help Stop Online Censorship

This is the place to find the latest news and announcements concerning StupidGuestTricks.com Note: You may reply to any topic in this forum but you may not post new topics.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Help Stop Online Censorship

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:59 am

I've still got my v1 Razr. :D:

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:10 am

Harry Reid sez:

“In light of recent events, I have decided to postpone Tuesday’s vote on the PROTECT I.P. Act.

“There is no reason that the legitimate issues raised by many about this bill cannot be resolved. Counterfeiting and piracy cost the American economy billions of dollars and thousands of jobs each year, with the movie industry alone supporting over 2.2 million jobs. We must take action to stop these illegal practices. We live in a country where people rightfully expect to be fairly compensated for a day’s work, whether that person is a miner in the high desert of Nevada, an independent band in New York City, or a union worker on the back lots of a California movie studio.

“I admire the work that Chairman Leahy has put into this bill. I encourage him to continue engaging with all stakeholders to forge a balance between protecting Americans’ intellectual property, and maintaining openness and innovation on the internet. We made good progress through the discussions we’ve held in recent days, and I am optimistic that we can reach a compromise in the coming weeks.”

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:15 am

hobie16 wrote:Harry Reid sez: (abbreviated)
“Counterfeiting and piracy cost the American economy billions of dollars and thousands of jobs each year, with the movie industry alone supporting over 2.2 million jobs. ”
Of course, he is using a statement that is highly questioned by economists. First, the figure put forward by the entertainment industry is basically [Estimated Units Pirated] * [SRP]. Right off the bat, the average price would be lower between normal discounts and liquidation prices. Second, it assumes that everyone who pirates a copy would buy one if the illegal option did not exist. Who believes that to be true? Finally, whatever the lost dollars are, they are not lost to "the American Economy." The money not spent on media is undoubtedly spent in other sectors of the economy such as getting pizza and beer to have while you watch your bootlegged movie. :toast: The loss to the entertainment industy is the gain of other ones.

As far as costing thousands of jobs, there is no evidence that the entertainment industry is creating any less content because of pirating. They are filling all the possible channels. I suppose there might be a few jobs involved in manufacturing if eliminating piracy created so much more demand that the had to manufacture twice as many discs.

It's just plain sloppy to simply accept the claims from the entertainment industry and ignore the response of economists. Mind you, I think piracy is wrong and I believe copyright holders have the right to sell their materials in whatever way and for whatever amount they want. I just hate to see legislation that will harm the first amendment rights of millions of people justified with false, sloppy facts.

Oops. :soap: Dang, I seem to have gotten up here again! :o:

Oh well, at least it will be studied more. Gives it more time to get right or die.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:46 am

Main Streeter wrote:A few? A FEW?? You both just caught a minor few jealous glances? You didn't see me look over your shoulder or stand beside you & drool & marvel? :confused: My mistake was not ordering the iphone before you arrived. You could have done everything for me. Think that is known as Epic Fail to the enth degree. My friend took pity on me & offered to help me. My retort; "you try to touch my new cell & you will need more than a 3 week vacation!" ;)
This explains Ktulu's wet shirt! ;)
Does the iPhone get good reception all over DLR? Hubby nearly divorced me last trip cuz we couldn't connect. We made a plan to meet at the Flagpole if THAT ever happened again! :o:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:53 pm

DisneyMom wrote:This explains Ktulu's wet shirt! ;)
Does the iPhone get good reception all over DLR? Hubby nearly divorced me last trip cuz we couldn't connect. We made a plan to meet at the Flagpole if THAT ever happened again! :o:
AT&T isn't too bad, can't comment on the others. Poor Mr. DisneyMom, he wasn't feeling good AND there was the phone problems. I was glad to see we all made it though :)

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:38 pm

ktulu wrote:AT&T isn't too bad, can't comment on the others. Poor Mr. DisneyMom, he wasn't feeling good AND there was the phone problems. I was glad to see we all made it though :)
Thanks,will consider AT&T :)

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:39 pm

DisneyMom wrote:Thanks,will consider AT&T :)
You can't go wrong with the Death Star company. ;)

--- Matt King

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:23 pm

hobie16 wrote:I've still got my v1 Razr. :D:
What, you mean my Razr isn't still state-of-the-art?!? :eek:

Zazu

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:51 pm

Zazu wrote:What, you mean my Razr isn't still state-of-the-art?!? :eek:
They're in the classic masters series. :cool:

--- Matt King

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:58 pm

ktulu wrote:Thankfully the iPhone is easy to setup and use! I could have done it while riding things like Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, but not the Matterhorn, only because it is closed...
Oh pfffftt. :p: Yet I do believe you. Requested an ADO today just to try & out smart my iPhone. Might help if I read the instructions, but that's not my style.

hobie, I figured you still had your beloved Razr. :D: Droid has a Razr now if you are a real Razr fan. At some point you & Zazu must come into the new century.

DisneyMom, most of my friends have Verizon & we have no trouble backstage. Verizon to Verizon is most economical for me & i have been with the company for years so have my Loyalty whatever they call it. I don't have trouble when playing in the park, yet you realize I usually only txt & send pix.

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]